Re: TotRM features

From: theunspokenword <hia15_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:57:10 -0000

There's a small picture of the Tarsh TotRM in UW1 on p31 - yes, I'd imagine a reassuringly warm crimson glow (*completely* safe for everyone in the immediate vicinity, of course, despite what the sandal-mongers may allege!). Blow out a temple (which would take a *lot* once it is established, unless you have a handy dragon to swallow it up) and that bit of the Glowline fails. Take out the Tarsh temple, for example, and most of the kingdom is out, including Furthest itself - only the north-west would still be covered by the TotRM in Holay.

Each temple is at once a barracks, holy building and power station, with Yara Aranis guards and priestesses in charge, Eyzaali (lunar alchemist) lunicians working on the interiors, etc. I'd envisage the insides as a rather bizarre cross between a romanic temple and 'lunapunk' - one minute, you're in a YA barracks, full of scary warrior-priestesses, then a tranquil temple in which to contemplate the mysteries of Rufelza, down a stair case and suddenly you're in the Primary Phase Chamber, where lunicians in white body-covering robes labour over banks of glowing moon rocks. Given that they run on Entropy (barbarians call this chaos, but they are, of course, being simplistic and alarmist), expect wierdness...

Then I have an image of the classic inside-the-villain's-secret-HQ- about-to-blow scene at the end of a James Bond movie...

No, I know. Did you ever happen to watch the episode of Thunderbirds in which bad guys were flying jets out of a base inside an Egyptian pyramid? Egyptian bas reliefs, weird technology, hissing clouds of explosive gas (used as jet fuel)...

But this is all IMHO.

Good luck!

Mark

Mark Galeotti