RE: Re: seven mothers

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:13:54 -0500

David Boatwright

>And where is the objective evidence that the Lunars are there for
>any other reason than exploitation. Has there been any attempt to
>introduce Lunar civilisation to the masses? The only, remotely
>official, source we have had of lunar settlements in Sartar has been
>the guide to Boldhome. Lunars hiding themselves away in the
>Lunar pocket is hardly introducing Sartarites to Enlightened Lunar
>civilisation.

>Any evidence of Lunar Law giving justice to all? Any evidence of
>trade from far way places being stimulated by the Lunar presence?
>Any evidence of Lunar cults providing for the starving? Any
>evidence of major Lunar engineering works to benefit the people?

>On the other hand we have a tribes and clans destroyed, slave
>farms established, attempted destruction of a temple and the Lunar
>Army marching on to conquer another country scant years after
>defeating Sartar. Do the math.

Such sentimentality. Don't mistake any Gloranthan society for some modern soft society. They invaded Sartar to keep the Sartarites from invading Tarsh (and probably because someone in the provincial government thought they'd profit from the invasion). Theyn are there to keep the peace and keep the Sartarites down. Lunar justice and rights are only available to Lunar citizens so if they're too foolish to accept Lunar ways they deserve whatever they get. Better a few (or a lot) of dead innocents than a continuous state of revolt.

If they break Lunar laws they get punished because they cannot afford to look soft. They are kind of outnumbered after all. IF the locals adopt Lunars ways that'd be super BUT they've only been there a relatively short while and the locals still have lots of silly ideas. The Lunars have been in Tarsh far longer and there are still foolish rebels there too. Spreading culture's even more expensive than maintaining troops.

Heortlings can't claim clean hands as far as slaves go, the Lunars are just more sophisticated as far as their use of them goes.

There's three (main) sides to the Lunars in Sartar, the occupation force that's there to keep the Heortlings in their place, the group there to earn their fortune at the expense of the locals (and the army) especially as they can exploit the locals who aren't citizens, and the groups that are present to spread Lunar culture. The latter have a hard slog of it since the locals are too stupid to appreciate the glories of the Lunar way and they've learned the hard way that they'd better stick to those parts of Sartar with a troop detatchment for their own safety. The occupation force would like to spread more culture but their budget is spread pretty thin as it is. Eventually the locals will smarten up and see the errors of their culture.

Oliver D. Bernuetz

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor