Re: Enemy of my Enemy is my friend

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:24:52 -0000

David Boatright wrote (rhetorical questions I suspect):

> Then why attack Heortland. That place was so screwed from internal
strife it who did it posed a threat too.

Canonically for access to the sea. The River of Cradles was invaded for exactly the same reason, but Corflu turned out to be a bust. Corflu was useful for launching a sea borne invasion from though. Why access to the sea? Easiest way to conquer the world ;-)

>And if the Herotlings in Sartar are so fragmented how could they
possible be a threat to te Empire.

There are several good reasons - few to do with the resources Sartar itself offers:

They may not have been perceived as a threat to the Empire but to Tarsh. Tarsh tore itself apart in civil war over conversion to the Lunar Way. The Sartarites provided aid and comfort to the rebels. They are a destabilizing force on Tarsh. Tarsh also seems to have ambitions to reconquer all the territory once held by Yarandros, which includes the tribes of Alda Chur, Quivini and Holay.

The Lunars want access to the sea - to get there they have to pass through somewhere else. After defeat at the Building Wall battle, Sartar-Heortland looked easier.

To hold their territories the Loonies love to build Reaching Moon temples. Someone figured out the most propitious location for a new temple was slap bang in Sartar.

Ian Cooper