Small Empire

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:17:15 EST

Stephen replies to Peter:
> >Have a look at the Genertela Book.  There you see the entire

> >continent of Genertela imposed on a map of the United States.
> >Since the small scale has been widely published for over ten
> >years, there's little point in trying to change it.

> I've just checked the map of the Lunar Empire in the Dragon Pass
> rulebook from 1980... that has a scale showing the distance from
> Thunder Delta to Furthest is about 1500 miles, and 1200 miles from the
> Sweet Sea to the Von Mountains. That's about 2.5 times larger than
> the scale of the Wesley Quadros/Martin Laurie colour map. Funnily
> enough, it's also pretty much the same size as the historical Persian
> Empire.

Hmm, interesting point. When we drew the scale we based it on the Genertela map, that being the most detailed Empire wide version at the time. Personally I'd be much happier with a larger Empire, and maybe we can look at that in the distant future, but for now, we have what we have based on the most readily available and prevalent published material.

> So, when did Glorantha shrink to 40% of its previous size?

Good question! Beats me, I think it probably happened at the Genertela stage of work for Avalon Hill, but I am not a veteran of that era so could not say for sure.

Does anyone else know?

Martin Laurie