Fast-And-Dirty Barbarian Adventures Review

From: Jeff Kyer2 <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:00:53 -0500

Its a good day. Today a copy of Barbarin Adventures has arrived on my doorstep. Huzzah. Tis a good thing to see. The format is 8x1/2 X 11 and is 72 pages chock full of Orlanthi goodness.

Layout's pretty good. Very accessible and easy on the eye. The pages are not as busy. I may start to agree that the larger format is better (though I like my books on the subway - this is too big for that). There's a lot of artwork taken from KODP which blends in very well. The focus of this book seems to be pre-Hero Wars clan-based play. The new contest layout looks good as well - it makes them easier to define and run.

Firstly, there's a big section on Sartar. Each tribe is given a few paragraphs as well as the Drulz and Telmori. There's a fair bit of 'what my father told me' attitudes throughout this which makes it easy to think 'inside the box.'

There's a good section on clan resources - which I think will be invaluable for running clan-based games. I think that the Leader Sheets are kind of awkward to write but I can see how they would be useful. They are a fast and dirty way of laying out leader or faction. Better yet, there's a section on the various types of clan rings - this material has been seen elsewhere but its good to see it more readily available. The resources also include a few 'heavy hitters' that heroes can run to for advice or help when they need it. Guys like Tosti Runefriend and Goldgotti.

Narrators get a fair bit of stuff too, its seems. There are 'typical opponents' ranging from rival clansmen right up to a Lunar Phalanx troops. There is even an enemy warband, suitable for being a nasty recurring villains. There's also a selection of Guardian Beings to go with each group. For those of a more whimsical bent, there's a lot of weird stuff here - the Puppeteers are back!

Clan Life - this is good stuff. Lots of day-to-day activities ranging from moots to cattle raiding and what can go wrong to make the heroes' lives interesting. Lots of little points that could be fleshed out into a scene with a few more being detailed. The section on 'Ambushes' explains why the Lunars just _don't_ go into the hills much. The Rebellion is covered too. And the section explains just why the hills are not afire with blood crazed Orlanthi patriots. Sword, Claw and Bread is highly relevant to some of the current disussions on the list.

Also included are four short story arcs, which can be inserted into an ongoing campaign very readily. "A Year of Chaos" brings good, old-fashioned Chaos into the homey confines of _your_ clan. Every clan seems to have its own personal enemy. "Blood Feud" starts off small but could plunge your kin into a bloodbath. These Women Need Help is an interesting series of adventures which take their heroes away from their clans. I seem to recognize the "Healer's Campaign" from an outline posted here on the list.

The last part, "Come the Hurricane" is an interesting set of prophesy. It should keep players very, very curious.

The Darkness is Coming. Prepare to Fight.

Hope this is of interest to people here!

Jeff

All in all, I'm pretty pleased.

Jeff