Re: Re: Small Glorantha

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:27:05 +1300

At 11:18 25/01/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> > What things go seriously wrong if one "needs to know the
>dimensions"? How will it affect game-play?

>Travel times is the big one here.

How does knowing that affect game-play? Since most of us travel by trains, planes and automobiles, very few are going to notice a journey that takes ten days should "more realistically" be twenty?

> >Troubling oneself with areas and population densities is IMO an
> >arid approach that yields little joy.

>I think population desnities were only raised to get a feel for
>how much the scaling needed to be factored by.

The first time I saw them raised, it was cited as direct evidence as to why the scale is so unrealistic.

>I don't think this is a big one - adjusting the scale is all anyone's
>suggesting - if it does not matter to you, ignore it.

I find it difficult to ignore when people are filling screens with information on population densities on a forum which was not intended for such a purpose.

>After all DP
>never identified the scale of a hex and the number shave been a
>little nebulous ever since.

Well since the speed at which an infantry regiment can move in a day is three hexes (which implies a scale of around 1 hex = ten kilometres), I fail to see how the map scale could be "adjusted" upwards by a factor of four.

--Peter Metcalfe