Re: Small Glorantha

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:53:45 -0000

> >Travel times is the big one here.
>
> How does knowing that affect game-play? Since most of us
> travel by trains, planes and automobiles, very few are going
> to notice a journey that takes ten days should "more
> realistically" be twenty?

The first time I hit this problem was about 16 years ago while running one of my first RQ3 games. The PCs were travelling from Sartar to Pavis. I looked at the old RQ2 map and said something along the lines of "It's a long, arduous journey through bandit and nomad infested country to the fabled city. You'll need to take plenty of water, and would be advised to travell with a caravan for mutual protection on the... er... (checks scale and travell speeds) 2 day journey. .... Hang on a minute, that can't be right!"

Tought me a lesson, that did. Never trust the scale of a map of Glorantha, in fact try and avoid even looking at the scale at all if possible. If you think it should be a 2 week journey, damn well make it a 2 week journey and argue the toss afterwards.

Simon Hibbs