Re: Re: Small Glorantha

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:36:30 +1300

Mikko wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> > What things go seriously wrong if one "needs to know the
> > dimensions"? How will it affect game-play which is the
> > only reason why the debate is supposedly taking place on
> > this forum?

>Are you serious?

Yes, Mikko, I am.

>In my game there are goldentongue traders, Lunar strategos (general),
>and of course stuff happening on clan and tribe lands.

And how does the distances affect game play? Do you bother to calculate the effects of inflation, depreciation of stock, or bimetallic standards? If not, then why does population density have to be worked out so that it feels correct?

>Population density and distances are rather important at least to me.

But I didn't say distances were unimportant, I asking why we have to adjust the distances to make the largely invisible population densities more realistic.

> > I can't think of a single reason in which
> > heroes should whip out abacuses and contrast population
> > densities against some mysterious standard of which they
> > have no way of knowing.

>The heroes don't need to know, the narrator does.

Why does the narrator need to know? Considering those that have known about have ignored it and those that have only just discovered it have managed to get along fine without it beforehand, it seems quite unimportant.

--Peter Metcalfe