Re: Small Glorantha

From: t_m_ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:33:37 -0000

> This has been discussed before, long, long ago on the digest.
> It turns out that Sartar is about the same size a County Durham in
> England (a pretty small county), whereas I think most people's
> mental map of it probably makes it about the size of Northern
> Ireland at least. Pavis feels like it should be a long trek from
> Dragon Pass, but in fact it's only a couple of days away at most.

Which given that "Apple Lane" tells us the village is

> Several days ride from the nearest large city it sits astride a well
>used road.

shows the potential problem - Apple Lane is closer to Jonstown than Jonstown to Pavis, and it sits on a "well used" road, so we wouldn't expect it to be a slow or difficult journey.

Now if the maps have no scale, and you deal with every distance in terms of "x days away" (where X is a number that can be modified by dramatic necessity where or if appropriate) this isn't a problem, but it can through up a huge snag if halfway through a game someone looks at teh map and says "hang on, we're only 6 miles away, we can walk there in a couple of hours...