Re: Reincarnation (was "Chaotic Bat")

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 15:36:15 -0000

Except when they don't, e.g. when they manifest in the middle world as ghosts, for example.

> Live people who visit there impose a semblance of time on it, but
>that's temporary and as I said, just a semblance, more a way of
>viewing it than its true nature.

I don't think the afterlife is the same as the mythological ages. The ancestors don't go to the Storm Age, for example. They go to a part of Orlanth's Hall (or wherever) allocated to them, from which the Storm Age can be reached. I think the afterlife does have some experience of time in a recognisable form. Certainly the mythological ages are timeless, as you dscribe.

> Once an ancestor visits the timeless afterlife, he is ALWAYS there,
>even when he reincarnates. Because once you exist in a timeless
>place, you always exist there, barring the action of unnatural
>forces like chaos or God Learners. Think of the nature of time and
>reality as described in _Slaughterhouse Five_. Think of the way that
>encounters in a heroquest can be from any time or place.

I don't agree with this. As for ghosts visiting the middle world, reincarnated ancestors are nolonger in the halls of the dead, and their absence from there might be sued as a clue that something has happened to them (become a ghost, reincarnated, been bound by an enemy, etc.

> I think this holds true for theists and animists.
>
> You could even make a case for one's connection to the spirit world
>being a result of the level of awareness you have of that part of
>you which always exisits in that other realm.

I think the concept of the 'other self', what was called a Fetch, Familiar or Allied Spirit in RQ, is of a different nature.

Simon Hibbs