Re: Another "Just curious" question

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 21:08:36 -0500

I didn't respond to the last question, so I'll respond to both here. As a narrator and a player I'll work with the player or narrator to determine if any weird ability works in the game. I won't hesitate to ask for one if I'm a player; the worst thing that can happen is that the narrator says "no." As a narrator, I always oversee character creation anyway and ask about the background/justification for anything out of the ordinary. So far in Hero Wars, I've allowed everything players have asked for. This isn't restricted to Hero Wars either, but Hero Wars seems to encourage players to add strange abilities and I think that not allowing most of those is antithetical to the spirit of the game.

That being said, I haven't seen many abilities that I would consider strange. My current players have some named magical items and the OA devotee has Read/Write, which I consider stranger than allowing a Heortling to have Fly because HW:RiG states that this happens.

Thanks,
Andy