Re: Re: Inns and outs

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 18:09:03 -0800

Guy:

> > I've seen references, though, to 'hostels' in Ireland in the sagas.
They
> > seem to be fairly rare, but protected by very strong hospitality
> > traditions. Can anyone point me to more details?

You're probably thinking of 'The Destruction of Da Derga's Hostel' - see http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/1100derga.html

Its among the earliest of the surviving sagas, and the earliest instance of the motif of brave Irish lads being double-crossed by traitorous foster-brothers and their unspeakable Brit allies (a mythology that I understand still flourishes in the wilder reaches of Boston). A stirring though confusing tale of incest, geas-breaking and raiding.

The 'hostel' is no ordinary building, and not an inn. It is an 'iron house' (these pop up occasionally in the early sagas) of the 'Red God', Da Dergha - a chthonic 'house of death' in which a king is slaughtered at Samain.

"There are seven doorways into the house, and seven bedrooms between every two doorways; but there is only one doorvalve on it, and that valve is turned to every doorway to which the wind blows."

Before attempting to map it, I should note that the number seven features prominently throughout the saga, and should be read more as a magical symbol than a literal number.

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

It will be easier on us, no doubt, Ailill said, to lose one man every day than a hundred every night.