Re: Digest Number 279

From: David Short <David.short_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:33:51 -0500

>Such as Drengin.net in particular? Sure, but it would require that we
>had a game suitable for Internet release. I don't consider KoDP at
>450 MB (maybe half that compressed) appropriate as a downloadable
>game.

Things change. It was not that long ago that you could put your whole OS and several applications on a low density floppy. Given the world of today and how tough it is for independant studios to get games on store shelves, A# should be proud that anybody has played the game.

As a computer gamer I find it interesting that one of the real selling points of kodp is the license. Not to be a heritic or anything, but I had never heard of Glorantha and most games based on a computer license fail as games. It's very revealing to hear people say they were familiar with Glorantha and saw it on the shelf, (or in the demo CD) and bought the game. I'm impressed with the story telling system built into kodp.

>I can think of another disadvantage to downloading
>something that big: you really want a CD burner if you
>want to be able to change the computer that you play
>the game on. I've used KoDP on at least 3 machines:
>home, work (only at lunch, honest!), and on a lap top
>I took to a conference. The lap top was a bit of a
>pain because it's little modem card was so slow I
>couldn't usefully download the patch, and the patch
>was too big for a floppy, so I had to play version
>1.0.

As mentioned before, times change! You might look into the disk spanning feature of most zip utilities that would allow you to break an archive over multiple floppies. 3 minutes of fooling with the interface is better than cursing the darkness.

To Barry who wrote about Frog City having trouble pitching Pantheon. You ruined my day. I was really looking forward to that one.

dfs