Keeping The clan small

From: j.hyde_at_...
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 01:39:19 -0000

Right, after getting the clue to plant more wheat during typical or better harvests (thanks to this board), I'm off to a rousing start, a start that's too good really.

I start growing the clan too large (over 1000 people) and regardless if I have 2000+ food and well over 200 lots worth of excess wilderness in land, the people complain there is not enough land/food. Is this some bug where they willy nilly pick some excuse to try and split the clan (it always seems to happen during the fire season after they plant but before they harvest , grrrr) or is it some built in valve to focably keep the clan small?

My basic problem is that I'm all for keeping the clan small during the first 10-15 years while I'm pre-tribal but somehow I'm drawing in too many people.

Any general guidelines on keeping the clan size stable at about 800? I'll try and lay off the signing of new cotters but the ring keeps saying we need more farmers =)

Cheers!
-James