Re: Who hit the Bat?

From: Jimbruce <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 13:13:40 -0000

Hi Jane

> Downloaded your files and read through them, and
> noticed that you seem to explicitly stop Kallyr having
> any part in the Bat-slaying: her "arrival" is
> mentioned happening later.

Shows how sloppy some of my thinking is at this point. :)

Kallyr's arrival and departure are both dated by OID, p 11. She spends most of 1619 among the Quivini, then winters in Whitewall, and stay there for early and middle 1620. She then heads back to the Quivini, and is there when the city falls.

So that's fixed. My thinking for the Bat was...its kind of on standby for the long-planned invasion, just like it was for Sartar. The enemy is stupid enough to resist in a city (Runegate, Whitewall) so you call in air support. But of course if that were true, then it would have been there just a few DAYS after the initial assault.

At the moment, I've got it appearing in Dark Season, some 17 weeks after the first skirmishes. Neither bird nor beast, so to speak. I think I did this basically to spread out major events over the two plus years.

So by rights I could...

I've no particular preference either way at this stage. Do we want to give Broyan all the glory for the bat-blat? Does Kallyr's power and leadership become apparent only as the siege wears on, gradually eclipsing her friend and former master, and possibly generating leadership tensions? (Kallyr served Broyan 'personally' in 1617 according to OID.) Or does her star shine from the very beginning, helping out her old buddy to make the bat skat?

I'd welcome ideas on this.

(On a more general point, how will we resolve differences like this? I'm coming at this relatively fresh, though a bit obsessively: I know many of the issues have been considered in depth by some of you over several years. Will we use a poll to vote on alternatives for disagreeable or open points? Do we want to build a concensus model, or mark certain areas for multiple interpretations?)

Cheers

John