Re: Jeff's analysis of the Whitewall sources

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:51:52 +0000 (GMT)

> But yes, compare the Storming of Karse with the
> Heartlander Bat assault on
> Whitewall. "Dragonewts, hired at inhuman cost" (or
> was that Boldhome?

It was Boldhome, FWIW.

> > At this point, Broyan is "the last Orlanthi" king.
> I assume that he
> > is mythically identifying himself as Vingkot - the
> sole king of the Orlanthi.
>
> That smacks of Lokamaydanism, with all the negative
> consequences. If
> Broyan really accepted this place in the Lunar
> scheme, then the entire
> Iceland trouble is as much his fault as it is
> Tatius'.

Causes a problem, then fixes it: that's very Orlanthi. I'm not sure if it would in fact have been a good idea or not, but it sounds like a plot-line to explore.

> > I know it was once assumed that Broyan and his
> companions defeated
> > the Crimson Bat by teleporting atop him and
> killing its priests.
>
> There is also a very graphical version of aerial
> combat over Whitewall
> from Tom Zunder's game:

http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/gd1/1994.12/0318.html

A Sky Bull! Wow! Let's get that in there if we can, then.

> If there is a heroquest about dealing with the Bat,
> it would be Arkat's
> victory over the earlier incarnation of the Bat
> (leading to its being
> skinned) in Ralios, a myth probably well known in
> Kethaela as well. Send
> in Black Arkati for a key role...

Well, I *don't* know that myth: if it's been written up, any chance of a reference or a summary?

> And I can't help viewing this as a magicked-up
> Broyan dangling on Tatius'
> fishing line having swallowed both bait and hook by
> assuming the Vingkot role.
>
> A real learning experience for Kallyr, who uses the
> same method on Tatius
> four years later at the Dragonrising.

The same method? Assuming the Vingkot role? Sorry, you lost me there. She hijacks a Lunar ceremony and has words with a dragon: I don't see any parallel?

> I know of no "Orlanth held out the siege" myths
> other than Starkval
> defending Aedin's Wall. ...

Elmal's the Orlanthi expert at holding the fort, surely? (And Vinga to some extent). Do we have any notable Elmali in on the action as yet?

Jane Williams