Re: Jeff's analysis of the Whitewall sources

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:31:13 +0100 (CET)

 http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/gd1/1994.12/0318.html

> A Sky Bull! Wow! Let's get that in there if we can, > then.

No reason why not. Remember the Storm Bull expedition for Temertain in 1613? Several members got themselves some at Stormwalk.

>> If there is a heroquest about dealing with the Bat,
>> it would be Arkat's
>> victory over the earlier incarnation of the Bat
>> (leading to its being
>> skinned) in Ralios, a myth probably well known in
>> Kethaela as well. Send
>> in Black Arkati for a key role...

> Well, I *don't* know that myth: if it's been written > up, any chance of a reference or a summary?

I think this was in Drastic-Darkness (or Chaos), but my database is silent where. May have been some convention info by Greg, too.

Basically, the Crimson Bat was the Rinliddic death god, and it looks like it was summoned to fight Arkat during the Ralian campaigns of the Gbaji Wars, not unlike its later use by the Lunars.

IIRC, Arkat slew it and skinned it (to prevent its return). Successfully, until Teelo Estara returned it, "healed".

I suppose that the Arkati have a "how to" manual for giant bat slaying out of this.

The manual itself should be quite unknown, but the fact that Arkat once slew the Bat ought to be known.

As an aside, in the Dragon Pass boardgame, Prince Argrath has the ability to negate the Glowspot. Argrath=Arkat?

>> And I can't help viewing this as a magicked-up
>> Broyan dangling on Tatius'
>> fishing line having swallowed both bait and hook by
>> assuming the Vingkot role.

>> A real learning experience for Kallyr, who uses the
>> same method on Tatius
>> four years later at the Dragonrising.

> The same method? Assuming the Vingkot role?

No, going along with an enemy rite to turn it upside down.

> Sorry, you lost me there. She hijacks a Lunar ceremony and has > words with a dragon: I don't see any parallel?

Highjacking the entire magical buildup prior to the ceremony, too, which is sort of my point.