Re: FOUNDATION DOC: Forces and Numbers

From: dzo01 <dzo_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 00:02:23 -0000

> In a three year siege there's going to be some rotation of troops
> so at some stage any or all options are possible - in 1621 probably
> several of them at once.

Oh I completely agree. I was just trying to get a handle on the initial makeup of troops. I don't think that the intial force mix at WW was in any way optimal because it was, to all intents an purposes, a sideshow to the main event - at least until things started to go all wiggy. I think the troops who got stuck investing a poky Barbarian hill fort in the middle of no-where we none to happy that their buddies got to sack the rich heortland cities, especially Karse.

But yes, over three years there is certainly more than enough time to give many different troops and regiments a taste of the action.

<Snipped> Much excellent discussion of Vellexia and organisation which I agree with 100%.

> This doesn't get in the way of bringing in PCs from other units as
> PCs are by definition exceptional individuals. So who is more
> suitable for detached duty, messengers, advance parties, the NCO
> left behind to bring the wounded along when they are fit to travel,
> etc. Unless we have bits of every unit in the Lunar army at
> Whitewall all the time that's the obvious way to do it. Another
> possibility is to just define unit types in general terms and
> leave it up to individual narrators to decide which unit at which
> time based on the PCs and the story line.

That is true, we don't want to be prescriptive and need to leave as much space for individual narrators to tweak as possible. I do, however, think that we can strike a balance. For the most part we should give general outlines, but when it serves the story then we shouldn't be afraid to give suggestions - eg, there being a regiment of rabid Shargashi at the final assault in order to tie in with the whole Shargash - Umatum myth.

One thing I think we should definitely not define, however, is the identity of the "hundreds of soldiers" who died supporting the construction of the ramps by the Seven of Vistor (sp?) during the final assault. That should be left for the individual narrators to decide, and, if they happen to have a nasty turn of mind it might be the PCs regiment. How will our valient PCs get out of this one - will they skive off of duty, or perhaps they're made of sterner stuff than their unfortunate compatriots? I see this action as one of the more poignant tragedies of the whole shebang myself... (and thus providing excellent RP fodder)

Un,

> I deliberately used dragoons rather than light cavelry because they
> can also be used as infantry. From the description of Lunar
dragoons
> in both Tarsh War and on the Issaries web site they are officially
> mounted infantry yet also capable as fighting as cavelry. If you
> prefer light cavelry you're going to need more decent close order
> infantry as well. Of course the Lunar forces are also going to be
> determined by what's available, particularly as Whitewall isn't a
> high priority operation for much of the siege.

Yup, that's pretty much what I wanted to imply. I think there is plenty of room for discussion and whatever we decide can probably be justified.

I just have a fondness for light cav...

Cheers,
Yak