Re: Melisande, Narib, et al.

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:08:16 -0000

> Peter

>> Where is his role as a Rokari crusader an established fact?

> Joerg

>> I agree with Peter that Richard did not lead a formal crusade.

> I think I inferred this from HQ voices:

> 'A personal view of Seshnegi life: What is my lot in life'

I admit that this wasn't on my list of on-topic sources. I'll have to remedy that.

Still, a formal crusade among the Malkioni is a great issue.

Revealed Mythology says (p.20)

"Malkioni term for a holy war. Certain types of magic are available to western forces when an official crusade is in effect."

Sounds like a temporal allowance for individual magic use by fighters...

> "If you want a hard but glorious life, you could fall in with the
> Crusaders, who are gathering to liberate New Malkonwal from the
> pagans in the east. But I fear their expedition will end as badly as
> the last one unless the king supports it this time."

Hmm. A crusade doesn't need papal decree, a praying monk might be sufficient. Imagine a Nolosite bishop stirring up cheap mercenaries, erm, stout upholders of religious virtues for another expedition to the east.

"Greg's Wastebasket" mentions Seshnegi ventures into Kethaela no and then.

> But the key point is not Rikard's motives, which are in history, but
> that opposition to his usurpation of the throne could have created
> an alliance between Broyan and deposed Esvular nobility.

And that's a topic where I agree with Ian.

> With
> Rikard's removal by the Lunars, and the Empire offering inducements
> to serve, that alliance looks shaky. It just sets us up with
> conflict and crisis in the defenders ranks. The PCs get involved in
> the stay/go decisions of individual Esvulari. They can be an
> influence on later events - are their Esvulari heroes on the walls
> or are they standing outside with the Lunars, selling the defenders
> secrets to the Empire and joining the assault.

And we have our first campaign kernel for a group which might switch sides.

Or our second, given the short glimpse Nick has given on the Greydog mercenary activities.