Re: Re: The BatBlat

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 02:00:38 +0100

I'm not sure I feel too gripped by either the dramatic inevitability or physical impossiblity of violent aerobatics of the bat, relatively close to the ground. First of all, recall that its scale speed is pretty glacial -- if nothing else that seems likely to limit the net effect of it performing 'sudden' maneouvers. But OTOH it's hardly going to be in much danger from flapping about as giddily as it's able. Even if we assume its wing motion is likely to cause it to ground a wing (and that's making lots of assumptions about the dimensions and motion of said wings) it's not exactly likely to "crash and burn" from doing so, is it? It's not some relatively fragile thing travelling preposterously fast, like an aircraft, it's ponderously slow and appallingly robust.