Re: Mail-order Char-Un brides

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:30:27 -0000

Jeff said:

> Whitewall is definitely *not* something akin to what we 21st century
> types would imagine when we think city. It is not a trade center -
> it is the High King's citadel-palace. The only reason it has any
> reasonable population at all is because the High King, his thanes,
> his retainers, his priests, and kinfolk all live there and are
> supported by the tribute given to them by the Volsaxi and
> Volsaxar. Think Mycenae, not Athens.

Fairly alien by our standards. Sort of like Brasilia or Canberra:-) So the buildings should be mostly longhouses then. Marble ones for the most part but longhouses. Maybe the interiors have been set up in some of them so the front parts can be used as stores like the Roman townhouses so we still have a bit of retail commerce.

The inns could be guesthouses that have been more formalized as inns through foreign influence. Their importance of course rises during the seige since Broyan will want the defenders to mix a bit to improve their comaradery (obviously a tactic fraught with peril among the fractious Orlanthi).

I think the Shambleshur should still be individual buildings though to accentuate its oddness.

I like the thought of a hill fort done in marble right down to the faux marble thatching on the longhouses. That's what an Artist would have done:-)

Oliver