Re: Re: Clan Ring

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:30:12 GMT

In message <20040425122029.52991.qmail_at_...> =?iso-8859-1?q?Simon=20Phipp?= writes:
>Steve:
>> So what you are saying is that the citizens of WW have no say in how
>>they are governed? I know I'm putting my own C21st thoughts on this but
>>I would not take it. The Lunar Army on my door and I have no say in what
>>goes on? All these Warriors not from my Clan taking food from my
>>children's mouths acting like they own the place! Violence is always an
>>answer...
>
>Normally, in ancient times, people had little or no say in how they were
>governed, leaving that to the King and his representatives. Even in
>Glorantha, the Rings are not elected, merely appointed or have positions that
>are filled by certain people, e.g. High Priestess of Ernalds. The people have
>very little say in what goes on.

I don't think that's true, the societies the Heortlings are based on (Celtic and Viking) did not have absolute monarchies. It's not a democracy as we know it today where every few years everyone gets to vote on which of a small number of choices is least unacceptable. It is however a system whereby a clan chief is chosen by the acclaim of a meeting which everyone can attend. Similarly the High Priestess of Ernalda is chosen by the priestess's as the best person to represent them on the ring. At the tribal level the clan representatives do the same to select a tribal chief and tribal ring. At all levels those who chose can change their minds and the leaders. So Broyan is reliant on the support of the clan leaders to retain his position. They're not going to kick him out just on a whim, especially not during the siege but they must be taken notice of and they in their turn must respond to the demands of their clans.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/