Re: How do warbands and fyrds operate?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:02:49 -0700

Charles is mostly correct in his analysis, but:

> I believe that a clan warband often has a wyter (something like war
> clans always have a warband wyter, peace clans rarely) and this
> wyter has a connection to both the clan wyter and also to the tribal
> warband wyter. I tend to think that a tribal warband always has a
> wyter and that wyter has a connection to the tribal wyter.

If the clan has *any* intention of sending warriors outside of the tula (to raid, chase cattle thieves, whatever) then they will need a "warband wyter" that is distinct from the clan wyter. Unless they want to risk losing the clan in a cattle-raid gone bad, or suffer from the lack of a wyter on their raids.

RR
- Richelieu