Re: Yelmalio keyword

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_QXCwR2LqRBeRyvZk4iMhaoVBsHmulyqxeSixwJ_XUv7i7CMUu6Mx64aa4Vl9mnNISNnxj>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:52:19 -0700

>> I need to make a Tharkantus keyword, so I figured I'd start with
>> Yelmalio, which is in Orlanth is Dead. I'm surprised that he's given
>> only two affinities -- Elmal gets three.
>>
>> Oliver did a Tharkantus but for Third Age Balazar, all misapplied
>> worship. Not as helpful for the Imperial Age...
>>
>> Any thoughts as to why Yelmalio is so magically weak (when King of
>> Sartar suggests that, relative to Elmal, Yelmalio has "overwhelming"
>> magic)? Or an alternate keyword?
>
> I was wondering about him only having two affinities too.

I think the OiD version is only one aspect of Yelamio (the Mercenary Aspect, probably the best known) - after all, this is the Premier god of Sun County, and the other Sun Domes, so he probably has (Minor) Cultural God significance, and various other aspects, much like Elmal has subcults.

So there's probably the Yelmalio that makes plants grow and is Husband to the Earth; the Yelmalio of Horses (Remember that even back in CoP Yelmalio taught Kushile Archery and Riding, even though no Sun Dome mercenary band seems to have mounted archers!). There may be some Anti-Darkness and/or anti-Cold/Storm aspect(s) as well (Cloud Clear would be in the anti-Storm realm...). And yelmalio the regent or so,mething - not "King", as that would be transgressing on yelm's rites, but some form of "Yelmalio the leader".

Friend to Birds (via Hawk Mother).
Friend to Aldryami
Anti-Dwarf
Anti-Dragon