Re: Minaryth Purple

From: donald_at_nOMs8z6THEUHHdjFI7LJD--gONcTZN3EWWMiO0rNL4kWGXE2ydV-XFxhJm8xoxB-Ogl8h
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:30:23 GMT

In message <Pine.GSO.4.63.0703211512540.29181_at_ScwNgGe-GKklVENwK9gc6apSZjFM-qUbJpgtcjPu98uIoEVO0OJQQMnPkHmQZ7SnTOsPFvGXShAVZzMxolFqdluC6rEKczQPivVX-vVfUmLzfgTd1TWBhhaGE6Ty6Yg.yahoo.invalid> Michael Hitchens writes:
>On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, donald_at_nTIjYAHJ6fBBXs9ofQmZdRyhCYHcRO9TMesZw4IajUfcZji63W83fmsLj7486TKCLUdboShwIpIr4HPQkYC2.yahoo.invalid wrote:

>>> Anyone know why Minaryth Purple always wears purple?

>> d) He has two sets of robes. A best set which is purple and an
>> ordinary set which might have been purple - or red or blue or
>> green - but is now the muddy grey which comes from tramping the
>> hills of Sartar and sleeping rough.
>
>Fair enough, if so, but doesn't tell me why. Even if they are (were)
>both purple is it then b) or c) above?

Any of a thousand reasons. That was the material that was available, it was part of a cheap job lot, he liked the result at the time. My point is that in a society which uses a hand loom for weaving clothes are expensive and best clothes are worn occassionaly for years. I've known people who bought a new suit for their wedding and wore it for weddings, christenings and funerals for the rest of their lives. Someone who's formal clothes were purple could well get that as a nickname. Of course there is also the question of whether purple is as expensive a dye in Glorantha as it was in the RW. If so then it is an extravagant display of wealth even for a single garment.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/