Re: how many Argraths?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_KYzK1dFGz0lfMnl3on55Z1QJXORUm5ISkqALR-Rh_7I05kk9icFFwLC9D_rha>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:16:19 +0000 (GMT)

That's what I was trying to remember the details of! Yes, thanks, Roger. I never could keep dates straight in my head.

> Shortly after his birth you have Brenna and the
> other known kin of
> Dorasor assassinated by lunar agents and Garrath
> then takes the child
> to Pavis and has him brought up by commoners in
> ignorance of his true ancestry.

> As Argrath of Pavis and Argrath Maniskisson are both
> separately
> mentioned by Minaryth Blue there is a strong
> implication that they at least are different people.

Agreed - though Garrath could be reasonably described as "of Pavis" by a Sartarite. Minaryth could have been making a point: "Argrath, that untrustworthy foreigner". You can go with either if you need to.

> We are also told that Enostar had 'learned something
> important about
> the men of the lunar army' and shared this
> information with Orlanth at
> his conversion - so would it be too great a stretch
> to make Enostar
> Brennasson the Argrath who learned how how to
> organise magical units
> from the lunars and created the Sartar Magical Union
> some time after 1625?

Sounds very logical to me.

> The Draconic/EWF connection (the other obvious
> possible influence on
> the SMU's new form of magic) also sounds more like
> something Enostar
> would learn in Pavis than something that would come
> naturally to a Heortling from Sartar.

Also true.

> While OiD identifies Argrath-the-magician as
> Venharlsson one could
> easily make Venharl Enostar's adoptive father in
> Pavis.

I *like* it! Young Garrath, suddenly finding himself to be a single parent instead of an adventurer, dumps the kid with *his* foster-father and goes off to do something more fun.

> As I don't think there should be more than a couple
> of Argraths,

Well, tastes differ, and leaving options open is good.

> I think there is also a good case for combining
> Maniskisson, White Bull and Garrath

With the problem of AWB and "the" Argrath being on opposite sides of the Sartarite civil war.

> - as the story does seem to require an
> Argrath who is in
> Pavis in 1621 for the Cradle, sails away to join
> Harrek, comes back to
> Prax and raises a nomad horde using connections
> previously established
> living amongst the tribes and then leads it on to
> fight for the
> freedom of Sartar - and Garrath is around at the
> right time and in the
> right place to do all these things.

Certainly. And ISTR (though again can't remember the source) that in 1610, Garrath managed to avoid the Lunars by hiding out with the Bison tribe. He could easily have met AWB there. Then you have three Argraths, knowing each other, and working together, based around Pavis.

> So by radical use of Occam's Razor I think you can
> get the total of
> absolutely necessary Argraths down to two (three if
> you count Kallyr)

I still think three plus Kallyr, myself. One on her side, two on the other.

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk