Re: The Carmanians in the Second Age

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_OEOpquzQrfWeVNJrFrmLUOHpO7L-3G_WK4v7soeXiL8jepyR3W3eSKIHXBshckO68bw>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:24:38 -0400

On 3/24/07, innerworlder2000 <innerworlder2000_at_Ydl61EBe5kcQ3xiWN5uanSwopqQeNjRp_vC956lJlJvM3pkpWSgfmIx80YK_Rs3F_DGY4kCNLhBr8zFLbUE9cw.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> I can't find Romankrinturos in any of
> my material (not that I have it all- I have ordered the Fortunate
> Succession) or anywhere on the internet.

Romankrinturos comes from an article by Greg Stafford that was printed in a magazine called Enclosure, Issue 1 July 1997. The article is "Gods and Goddesses of the Lunar Empire (as worshiped in the Sixth Wane)". The last page of the article, titled "Sorcery and Asceticism", mentions Estrakor and his philosophy. What follows is an excerpt from that page. This excerpt is pretty long, so if I have overstepped the bounds of "fair use" then I apologize profusely. All typos and other mistakes are mine.

"Syranthir Forefront, fleeing from the God Learners, brought a more refined form of sorcery to western Peloria in the Second Age. Estrekor was a magician who came east with Syranthir, and who established a monastery and hospital in Pelanda. He preached what was contemporarily called Estrekor's doctrine of Pure God. Whether Estrekor really was the genius of this doctrine is unsure, but he did make the first manuscripts and preached the earliest (remaining) version of this [formerly Fronelan] belief.

Estrekor stressed that the Ultimate God was Immanent, NOT separate from the world, and that Fronelan Malkion was not the true Creator, but rather the evil Lord of Matter. The god in the writing is also called FroNalakino, and Fron Im Malakinus the Demiurge, a lower god, and not the Creator, who he called Romanakrin the One Mind [Ro Monakrin in Fronelan means "One Mind.") Estrekor also stressed that whereas the One Mind was beyond Good and Evil, it could also perform good but could not perform evil. This established the relationship between ethical good and the Good God. This was also later called the Romanakrin Wisdom.

The Romanakrin Wisdom was incorporated by the Prophet Karmanos into his revolutionary dualistic religion. Karmanos taught that Idovanus was the Highest God, the Good God, or in his language: the Romankrinturos. Opposed to Idovanus was the evil god, GanEstoro, who worked through gods, not pure (sorcerous) magic.

When sorcery, the supposed realm of Idovanus, was later used for evil purposes, the Karmanian Magi investigated their hearts and patrolled their boundaries, and they determined that evil sorcery was under the control of the old Evil Sorcerer, FroNalakino (a corruption of Fronelan Malkion). He was considered to have been the mysterious power behind YarGan. [At this time a number of "lesser gods" such as Bisos were also approved, and entered into the circle of Good]. Later sorcery (magical interaction with the material world) was separated from pure primal acts of creation performed by Idovanus. Sorcery was viewed a set of neutral laws which could be used for good or evil. This "god of good sorcery" was revealed to be Malakinus, a servant of Idovanus."

So there you go. <whew!>

~Kevin McD