Re: The Trouble with Insravel

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_0mf91YcyKbr1rO9Ji3iUOzoDYFNXemK-qy4NbCeTwOqi2TrCTg5kyG5d-_MvM0TZzC0GCvd>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:55:56 -0700

ygwv.
I'm back and able to view the list, and I'll respond to this initial query on the subject, and check the others later.

Quoting innerworlder2000 <innerworlder2000_at_46OWVKD58LV_Y67_7qwvwXyKGqKoXKa4agTPGjflhK5K_-Pk4N7rEoi2Qc0kyk3essK9tWbcnvJtaQhhXqL1pks.yahoo.invalid>:

> One of the problems with the RQ3 Cults Book was that it did not
> distinguish between God Learner Philosophy and Western Malkionism
> (pre-God Learner).

In part because i had not yet distingued many of the characteristics of the various religons.

> This was not a big deal in the Third Age.
> However, I was really excited about the 2nd age material (by Mongoose)
> because I thought it would finally give a good description of this.
> However, it seems to be missing in GtSA and CoG vol 1.

Excellent though those books are, the authors didn't always have the most up to date information before them, and crushing deadlines sometimes prevented sufficient research.

> I'm having a problem envisioning Loskalm before the God Learners and
> how the God Learners see Loskalm when both cultures supposedly are
> Malkionists.

To say both are "Malionists" is similiar to saying that Judism, Islam and Christianity are all Monotheists.

> A question similar to this was asked some time ago and answered by
> Peter Metcalfe:

When you cite references like this...

> To which Greg added:

...or this, it is always VERY useful for me if you can cite sources.

[snip quotes, which ae broad synopses of a long period of time.]

> I am assuming from the texts given above that Syranthir was of the
> Insravel persuasion.

Correct. Note that Irensavalism is also very heavy on Hrestolism, which was diminished by the God Learners (and much later rejected by the Rokari).

> Perhaps Insravelism (Insravel being a purifying
> god) is closer to Zoroastrianism

No. It's not dualistic.

> So was Syranthir of the Insravel persuasion? Did he believe Malkion
> to be the corrupting God, and therefore the God Learners were (in a
> sense) devil worshippers?

Yes.

> What it seems like to me is that Insravel-ism is most like
> Zoroastrianism and Carmanianism is most like Gnosticism (the Mandean
> school) and the God Learners play the role of Church Inquisitors.

When you get to know about Iresavalism and Carmanian Idovanic Dualism, you almost have to drop the direct comparisons with Terrestial religions.

> Therefore, Syranthir was not really what you would call a Malkioni,
> but he was an Isravel-ist.

This is acceptably true. I wouldn't really mind saying tha Iresavalism is not Malkionism. The fact that it was said to be so for so many RuneQuest years was, as I said, due to my lack of understanding of its true nature.

> The Insravel-ists were being persecuted by
> the God Learners, and Syranthir was fighting for the religous freedom

Well, not exactly "religious freedom," a rather abstract principle, but I undestand what you ae saying.

> of Loskalm. He lost and was driven further and further up the Janube
> valley by God Learner Rightness Troops. Apparently they felt he had
> been driven far enough away and ceased pursuit of him.

Correct. Although later on they used the excuse of "aiding and abetting" to justify invading farther and farther up river.

> Carmanos did not combine Insravelism with Pelandan religion, but
> recieved a pure divine revelation that reveals a previously unknown
> mystery: the Pelandan high god Idovanus is actually the Good Lord of
> Truth and Genesatarus (once referred to as Fronaloko) is the Lord of
> Deciet.

Correct.

> Although it has similarities to Insravelism, it is not actually a
> related religion or combined religion, but a new revelation that
> stands on its own.

Correct.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford