Re: The Trouble with Insravel

From: antalvarez2001 <aacuvill_at_rmBtmq7WSDQUUyMpVeExZJb726bJkd77HW_iub1hd6-qlQsJoh3xQhM6DxSL9l52A_R>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:12:08 -0000

> You are going to have both writers and
> gamers who are going to see the engagement in both Light and Dark
> forces/behaviors as inconsistent (as evidenced by Jeff Kyers >comment).

In my game, set in Third Age Carmania, players didn't have problems to understand the difference between Good/Evil and Light/Darkness in Carmanian ethics.

'Dualism', IMG, concern the oposition of Good (Truth) /Evil (Lie). It is an explanation for one of the most important problems in theologies: "Why there is Evil things in the World, especially if God is Good?". The response is: there are two major Gods, Idovanus, the Good God and Ganesatarus, the evil God and they are in war. Evil comes from Ganesatarus, it has nothing to do with Idovanus. In some sense, they are equal in power, and sometimes, in the material world, it seems that Ganesatarus is more powerful, but at the end, the good guys will win.

For me, the oposition of Light /Darkness is something completely different, not directly related to dualism. For human beings, polarities are important, and carmanians are particularly fond of them. Well, this is another polarity.

IMG, "Light" behaviour is related to: honour, peace, prosperity, gentlemanness, generosity, wisdom, hospitality, love and things like that.

IMG, "Dark" behaviour is related to violence, war, astuteness, cruelty, stealth, severity, discipline, etc.

It is not difficult to see how carmanians consider dark behaviour something *necesary*, to survive, to fight enemies, to protect the House, to avoid decadence and too much luxury. But at the same time, is not difficult to see how most carmanians feel more comfortable with "Light" behaviour. Light attitudes could be dangerous, but the dark ones are in most cases more dangerous; perhaps the major part of servents of the Lie are darkness-associated (as the evil spolites), but the more terrible are light-associated (as Gbaji).

Anyway, life needs some kind of balance between Light and Dark; it is similar to the balance between summer and winter (and summer is more comfortable), day and night.

Regards,

Antonio