Re: Clan Hiord of the Colymar

From: donald_at_jbKeQECyLSm5AeAqGczuGz4kU3jOe4AQeBWkNc1c-RjeJkm4CT9g2SC-Pag_poiKAxwlw
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 12:29:18 GMT

In message <Pine.GSO.4.63.0704021514220.15764_at_R-50c8EMmTqbcQE5sgWJSltZNKbUzMZY38kLVsx2OKpsNgDo5kEFlwPObaRsWiorH-VWB1KkX5JaqRdOzq7vjBBwN74jJ6wsQF3dZxhdTtNDfcc7snFeZipWm6KMux_MX3CD.yahoo.invalid> Michael Hitchens writes:

>Hi
>
>According to KoS
>"This clan are descendants of Hiord and Safeela, a swan maiden"
>
>Am I right in thinking that means something like there children are the
>founders of all (or most) of the clan's bloodlines (like *maybe, say* 4
>out of 6, for example)?

Bloodlines are usually traced through the male line so initially all would be. Generations on some bloodlines may have been kept going by adoption or people accepted into the clan without being descended from H&S.

>Also, swan maiden's aren't human right? How not human are Safeela's
>descendants (which would now include the Hiord and lots of people in
>other clans too)? Are they human, human in all ways that matter or
>just a little bit not human?

You're thinking genetically. AIUI people in Glorantha don't inherit genes that way. What they are is determined by the myth. So if an Orlanthi myth defines the sons of the mating between a man and a swan maiden to be human then they are. That same myth might define the daughters of the marriage to be swan maidens or humans or something in between. Conversely in Esrolia where bloodlines are follow the female line the equivelent myth could involve a swan boy and daughters being human.

This is why there are so few half breeds in Glorantha considering the relative ease, with the help of magic, of inter-racial breeding.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/