Re: {WorldofGlorantha] A Lunar Expedition

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_f3ZtNMfCaARdB9F7xirx99tGr33zslUN2YoAVcwUSnEwg1ZSTKsxPxIpZ8yyKBSFxhu>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:48:59 -0400

On 4/1/07, Greg Stafford <Greg_at_E36FEPBVCWdVwtbP_glvn8MPEmjDaHyLE0ESWfyeVRlafr8KeB15XEepPnFjaK5Um_OP_C_RLr0.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> I played a game of HeroQuest when I was at StellarCon in North
> Carolina a couple of weeks ago.

I was a player in this game (merchant), and just want to add that a good time was had by one and all. Of the seven players, only two of us had ever played HQ before. Only three of us had even heard of Glorantha! Never-the-less, the players all seemed committed to their roles, excited by the adventure, and pleased with the setting.

There are a couple of things that I took away from the experience and hope to apply some time soon:

  1. Greg and the players invented the whole scenario from scratch. Greg really did little more than ask a long series of questions, like "Are you from the city or country?" or "are you nobles, townsmen, or peasants?" As the players answered the questions, the setting was chosen, the player characters developed, and the adventure hook created. The players were therefore highly invested in the whole experience. The character creation method was "as you go", which fit this style of play like a glove. I was surprised and delighted by the results.
  2. Greg played fast and loose with the setting. The YGWV principle was in full display. The Dara Happa of our game was bigger, brighter, and more fantastic than the official printed stuff. I figure that Greg did some of this with the newbie players in mind, but I loved it. It gave the whole thing a wondrous fairly tale feel. Greg also didn't give out any Gloranthan info that was not central to the story. Most players didn't even know the name of their god! Only if a player asked directly about something (thus showing interest) did Greg give setting details. Otherwise things were painted with pretty broad strokes. This had the effect of keeping the players interested but not overwhelmed. I was surprised and delighted by the results.

~Kevin McD