Re: Vinga/Nandan/Sexualty/Gender

From: Doyle Tavener <doyletavener_at_eOaz0wHIpa0R9fl1IzK90g712kJsAon5P7xeH_PGo7-csCj9Q8tkCqaqxGRrcFt>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:39:41 -0000

> On 4/14/07, Doyle Tavener <doyletavener_at_...> wrote:
> > But as
> > many cultures around the world demonstrate, gender is often more
> > centered around the roles you fulfill in society, rather than who
> > you have sex with.
>
> I haven't studied this, and I don't understand the implementation
> (practical implications, etc.) of it, especially in the modern day.
> Can you list some of these cultures? Is this covered in the book
> mentioned above? I also followed the Wikipedia link, but couldn't
find
> this information, so any web sites recommendations would be
> appreciated.

Hey Andy,

Two examples come to mind immediately: the 'Sworn Virgins' of Albania, who act as men, and the classical era Greek pederasty.

The Greek tradition, of which there is plenty of evidence of, may not have involved penetration, but there does seem to be sufficient ground to assume sexual contact (cf. The Reign of the Phallus, by Keuls, and Sex in History, by Tannahil). The older male participants were considered male in all other ways, but only if they stuck to certain protocols of sexual activity (intercrural sex, no receiving of penetration) and did not engage in exclusively same sex conduct.

The sworn virgins act as men in all ways except sexually, at least ostensibly. This is the article that started the whole Vinga thread, incidentally.

I believe that Philippine transvestites have a long, even pre-  conquest history. The activity can be described as the taking on of another gender, rather than as an excuse for engaging in same-sex sexual behavior.

http://www.iias.nl/nl/35/IIAS_NL35_13.pdf

In each of these cases gender has less to do with you have sex with then how you act; the social roles you adopt.

> P.S. What does "high crown" mean? I think I understand the context,
> but a quick Google search didn't turn it up.

It's a phrase that Greg uses as an example of a 'Gloranthan' metaphor in Cults of Terror, it means 'of great importance'.

Doyle