Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_BpUcZOe0mzi1YX9xlg5DeE50_GzxSAB38iHIfpXJavOHu8ALxz_LBdchZ5BT5GJJTn6>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:01:33 -0000

[Adept]
> >*The chaotic deer itself is an interesting dilemma. What has made
> >the deer into a chaotic horror? I assume this has to mean that a
> >deer god/spirit/essence has been corrupted in the great darkness,
> >and as a result, some deer are born with the taint.

[Peter Metcalfe]
> Nope. The Sleek Deer Prince joined Gbaji during the Chaos
> Wars.

That's one example, but Glorantha is a big place. I bet there are a lot of deer entities; spirits, daemons and essences. Some of these can have succumbed.

In a fanzine I have somewhere there was an excellent story set in the  Dawn era, where a few of the surviving humans offer a chaotic deer in sacrifice to a God. The God is in a weak state, and accepting the chaotic sacrifice pushes the God over the edge, and it becomes a chaotic monster. It's one of my favorite Glorantha stories.

[Adept]
> >The heortling mythology claims that merely speaking or even
> >thinking of the name of Krjalk was enough to turn you into a monster.]

[Peter]
> Krjalk is western mythology rather than Heortling.

Ok. I hadn't hear about that. Most of the old RQ era material was written from a universal perspective, so it's hard to tell such things. Also the Heortlings are pretty savvy about chaos, and Krjalk seems like a pretty big and important chaos "god".

[Adept]
> >What about initiation to a more subtle cult like that of Thanatar
> >or Krarst. If you turn away from the cult and try to redeem
> >yourself, is it too late?

[Peter]
> Thanatar is hardly a subtle cult and Krarsht isn't chaotic.

Thanatar is pretty subtle as opposed to things like Pocharngo. Thanatar is a cult of knowledge seekers, as opposed to one of outright monsters and glorification of Primal Chaos. (I'm pretty surprised about Krarsht suddenly not being chaotic, but I think somebody already raised this point)

[Adept wondering about Ralzakark]
> >If he has truly vast personal power, why is he
> >still holed up in Dorastor.

[Peter]
> Why is the Mad Sultan holed up in Dorastor? Why is Godunya
> holed up in Kralorela? Why is Zzabur holed up in Brithos? All
> remain there for their own nefarious purposes.

I don't really see the similarity here. Godunya is the ruler of a powerful empire, and exactly where he wants to be. The Mad Sultan is a prisoner, and also a lunatic. Ralzakark, for all his supposed sophistication and power resides in a blasted hellhole, squabbling over basically worthless land with the Poisonthorn elves and the scruffy humans of the area.
  It seems to me that he propably isn't quite as powerful as he'd like to have people think, or if he is, he's somehow tied to Dorastor.

  -Adept