Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_x30wIczMh0o_EVCdScywWLWE-vmBkc2T9ffqt6G9bwH-NAo9VDfv84_gW6axGRZ0iCB>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:32:32 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Toread DuDerysi wrote:

> Now, before the shouting started, I was going to say something to the
> effect that those who do not know who they are worshipping may not be
> in any danger of being chaotic, they are just evil and greedy (or
> stupid) but those who know that they worship the Waiting Mouth, that
> would be a different story.

Hmmm. "May not be in any danger". I'm not sure which way you meant this. Do you mean "it's possible that some worshoppers are in no danger" or "it's possible that all worshippers are in no danger" if said worshippers don't know they are worshipping smething chaotic?

I'm not sure I agree with either, but am less against the former. It depends what the worshippers are doing.

A worshipper who knows what they are worhsipping is chaotic is probably going to try, like most worshippers, to emulate the worshipped entity. If they know it is chaotic, let's assume they know what it did. Therefore they will act chaotically, and be in danger.

A worshipper who doesn't know they are worshipping a chaotic entity clearly doesn't know everything about the entity. Therefore they may or may not have a good idea of its acts. If they don't, then they may perform no chaotic acts. So the danger would be less, but I'm not convinced it's zero. If they know the acts, but don't regnise them as chaos they may do them and I would think the risk higher.

All just my opinion though.

Here's another question. Heortlings regard incest and rape as chaotic acts. We know you have some risk, at least, of turning chaotic if you perform these things. Is this universal or Heortling specific? What acts would a Dara Happan (or at least one prior to the Red Moon) regard as likely to turn you into a Broo? A Praxian? A Kralorelan? A westerner? I don't mean "evil" or "bad" or even necessarily "taboo" acts but ones that have a good chance of turning the performer chaotic (which of course will usually be regarded as evil and bad and taboo, but some such things won't have the chaos association)?

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_Zp7j3sxzmFuCneeBaXY6afDx8hIvIz13_zg2lOwPcuB3jHfZpIez3EYzePKOaqAwOkNLpnI89AcIVkc8u0ZXRQ.yahoo.invalid