Re: Some questions looking for answers...

From: donald_at_isq0M-dIDA7-hHYxYSq7RKk-BFyYeasxF9KAX9uet4ZtSWHS7LAWj4mDv_4iYnmhYuGa4
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:25:53 GMT

In message <767CC1FD-9218-41DA-808F-6A780F7DFC74_at_dNohkgZRoummkWiF0nnVjuWI1KiAaQ2nsqfEC2nfEXwKwBczhSjYb8Q7jgbUwremYgzQj1sc1ejAe7Ord8Gw33Wvmgz6nRa2OWBsV-J6z3xPHetTfzHaClYXpOH5.yahoo.invalid> Paul King writes:

>Heortlings, as members of the Storm Tribe have a "special
>relationship" with Chaos. Because of the actions of their Gods in
>producing the original eruption of Chaos Heortlings are more
>vulnerable to Chaos. Most importantly, breakdowns in their social
>order invite chaos attacks.

I'm not sure Heortlings are more vunerable to chaos, they may just take the possibility of causing chaos more seriously than other cultures.

>On the other hand, all rape is worship of Thed and all rapists are
>vulnerable to becoming broos.

But how are you defining rape? I doubt any culture in Glorantha uses the modern definition of sex with an unwilling partner.

> So far as I know incest isn't in the portfolio of any Chaotic god,
>so it likely comes under the "breakdown of social order" clause. It
>might have bad effects in other societies but it isn't explicitly
>tied to Chaos to the best of my knowledge.

I take the view that everything that causes chaos comes under that clause. Rape may have a specific god but kinstrife is a bigger cause of chaos to Heortlings. To Dara Happens the biggest cause of chaos is rebellion against legitimate authority. So to the Heortlings rape is probably defined as sex causing kinstrife while to the Dara Happens rape is sex that which brings Gorgorma's retribution.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/