Re: Adept's questions on chaos

From: narsham01 <Narsham_at_UqLvb09LBcVVm-bPRqzjVuixBfj5aDrjtdg0A1jBqCgUI96L5YP8hAkgAFCzIudhrhUl>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:28:29 -0000

As an aside to the discussion about Krarsht, I always wondered if Krarsht's story started with that being as a Mostali construct.

After seeing the picture of the Gobbler in the Gloranthan Bestiary, I wondered whether Krarsht started life as a particular breed of Gobbler, and was knocked out of its proper operating state through contact with Larnste.

If one wants to really yoke the questions in this thread together, extend the theory by stating that the Mostali designed this Gobbler to eat Chaos, in an attempt to clean up the "leak," and the thing managed to sustain that diet without contamination (sometimes the Stasis rune comes in handy) until a "close encounter" with Larnste disrupted it.

I could imagine after that point that the creature became gendered, "alive" in a sense that Mostali constructs are not, and more vulnerable to the effects of the Chaos it was eating.

The differing runic associations of LoT and CoT could thus be explained in the same way that Malia has a Chaos and non-Chaos aspect.  Since there's no time before Time, beings within time could propitiate a "prior" version of the entity or a "later" version. Of course, if Krarsht is properly an entity and not a deity and thus not bound by the Compromise, it's an open question whether propitiation of the entity prior to time is possible in the first place.

An alternative that fits into Peter's narrative fairly well might be to see Krarsht's internal state as a constant digestive process. At what point exactly does the food you've swallowed cease being food and start being you? Krarsht's chaotic nature might thus involve a taint or corruption which is in a constant state of cyclical flux, as the non-Chaotic Krarsht attempts to metabolize Chaos even as the Chaos attempts to warp Krarsht.

If you want all Krarshtkids to be Chaotic, easy enough to see them as the offspring of this process, or even as the excreted remains of incompletely digested Chaos.

I have to admit I like the possibilities of mapping Krarsht onto both Arachne Solara AND the cyclical Red Moon...

David