Re: Barntar: Son of Orlanth?

From: donald_at_02eRg-nYjiFUSq6SUhuBQv5d3oqfcwzQvgzuC5gpA4BICGyjcI4TAAz7d2AZoYJrKbTah
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 23:37:22 GMT

In message <20070510124642.5880.qmail_at_rVcx6yK7TYqQc08DPNbkc7sY6U4IYr_hFdnjguDi2yM0ovlK6LMXbfRr0a8O4i7PEPZGeruSmoijFteQrMTDv_iiZqBnONpQCRGwLaNO3_QEQf2k.yahoo.invalid> Peter Metcalfe writes:
>At 11:37 p.m. 10/05/2007, you wrote:
>
>>Also keep in mind that the Lunars (and the Orlanthi) don't know the
>>connection between these cults in the same way we do.
>
>When you write stuff like Barntar is a subcult of Orlanth, it
>beggars belief to suggest that the Orlanth would not know
>of the connection and the Lunars would be too stupid to
>figure it out. Credit gloranthans with some intelligence
>please.

I think Gloranthans know of these connections but don't understand them. The concept of collateral worship of enemy gods by recognising their existance in your myths is going to be very difficult to take. That's not to say there aren't individuals with this knowledge but for the typical Lunar Barntar is the god of farmers worshipped across large parts of the provinces

>> When a farmer
>>in Saird or Syllila or Tarsh sacrifices to Barntar, he is giving
>>offerings to Great Orlanth - whether he knows it or not (most
>>likely not).
>
>The farmer knows that Barntar is Orlanth's son. Any collateral
>worship that strengthens another god will be magically detectable.
>And the Red Goddess is always there, willing to dole out delphic
>hints on how weaken Orlanth.

I expect that's already happened. Rather than convert farmers to another god who's magic may well be less suitable to the local land the Red Goddess and her priestesses have weakened the links between Barntar and Orlanth. Alter rituals to emphasise Barntar ploughing his own furrow rather than being part of the Storm Tribe. Maybe even developing a myth in which the Goddess shows Barntar the advantages of a stable civilised government.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/