Re: Back to Vinga

From: Greg <Greg_at_GQl4amvU5gfrg5Vdr-wY2pXN5WJvvePj7ubPpT9ZBPQy0Po6ZrYL8dBmNDgkxfm4JvMezKC>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 08:13:43 -0800

YGWV Rob wrote:
> John:
> > > and who followers
> > > are pressured into 'masculine', lesbian relationships and sex
> roles.)
> Greg:
> > I never said such a thing.
>
> It has been suggested that yours and others like view of Heortling
> society is that if a female worships a warrior deity, they are fringe
> deities at best,

Let’s see, Vinga is a deity worshipped by (let’s be generous) 5% of the women.
Is that not “fringe?”
Is there some megative connotation to “fringe” tha I am mising here? It is, after all, a rather small percentage.

> constraining women to be 'faux men', wearing trousers
> and in effect 'being men' in the eyes of their society rather than
> being women who are warriors.

I believe that what I said was that they “do men’s work.”

> Vinga has been marginalised by some,

I really don’t give a frog’s croak what is done “by some.” I have enough trouble keeping up with what I’ve said, and have repeatedly said I simply can not keep up with every opinion voiced.

> she is no longer the gateway to
> Orlanth for women,

She is the gateway for women to worship Orlanth.

> especially those who do not worship Ernalda and want
> to lead, they can initiate straight to Orlanth Rex. This isn't such a
> big deal for me, as I allow women access to all the Thunder Brothers
> through Vinga. YGWV and all that.

I would allow women to worship all the Thunder brothers via Vinga. No problem.

> Then there is the suggestion that Vingan women may require to engage in
> same sex relationships as a cult stricture.

Require? Nonsense. You never heard that from me. Sexual freedom is an earmark of Orlanthi culture, and freedom includes the right to chastity, should one choose to do so.

> I also feel strongly against this notion that if a Vingan gets
> preganant then she is a failure, and is letting down the Storm Tribe.

I’d never say that pregnancy is a failure. I’d say that being pregnant makes it petty hard to be an effective warrior during the later stages. There certainly are stories that make fun of Vinga when she was pregnant, but these generally tend to point out/exaggerate the obvious problems of the situation.

> So, whats the skinny on current Vingan thinking?

There is the start of some corrections.

--
Sincerely,
Greg Stafford