Re: Ernalda roles, heortling patrilinealness, and adventuring female heortlings.

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_IY5GsHeGP7fKMOm3941HeOtqMlUJizG0GTAyOFK8bgViFmzmNZB2VkdDReyyYaLeGRJo4>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 08:54:51 -0700

>I see a few different issues getting mixed together in this debate.
<snip ggod thoughts>

Bryan, I applaud you.

There are issues, one of which is the "In Play"-vrs-"Gloranthan Reality" question. People are pretty much playing "fringe" characters to begin with - few Orlanthi are real warriors or "adventurers", few Dara Happans are soldiers, few Malkioni are knights. The vast majority of Gloranthans are like the vast majority of real world people: work-a-day folk that rarely or never have anything "adventurous" happen to them - certainly not on a weekly or daily basis as RPG heroes tend to have. An Orlanthi clansmen might go years without seeing a troll, or broo, or enemy clansfolk.

RPG heroes, on the other hand, are (almost) exclusively "adventurers" of some ilk. That's why we want to play them. Sure, we could play "Papers and Paychecks", or "Crops and Cattle", but that would be (for most people), rather boring. "Okay, you need to fill out a 10345-x/5 form *in triplicate* before lunch! What's your 'Comprehend Corporate-speak' rating?"

Greg writes his Unfinished Works for "Gloranthan reality", not as Game Aids. he may totally ignore some cult/occupation/whatever because it doesn't mean much when compared to the whole of a culture. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that it's not *that* important to the non-RPG aspects of Glorantha. So lack of evidence should never be taken as evidence of lack.

On the "gregging" issue - yes, it is annoying. Get used to it. It *is* going to happen. Sometimes it's not a big deal *to you*. Othertimes, it is.

Finally, remember that *I* am not Greg, and neither is Jeff (any Jeff), or David (any David), or John, or... If someone attributes something to Greg, it might not be what Greg said, or meant, or thought.

And as a side note, I was just on the phone with Greg, and he'll be away at a wedding for the weekend, so might not be responding to this thread until Monday or Tuesday when he gets back (he is taking his computer, so he might respond, but he doesn't know what sort of schedule he'll be on)

RR