RE: Ernalda Options

From: Sam Elliot <samclau_at_xVWyWDbXYnFuPdF7a-iZCJjqkjv1z1NDTPbsKEBR1aCKpoPZdJeJgZZ0Fgj5a3AGH5u1>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:49:19 -0300

Greg:
> So I'd like to get your suggestions, ideas and so on for the roles that
> Ernalda plays. We know the "standard" one already, but elaborations upon
> that, and expansions, are welcome.

I wonder, are you looking primarily at Ernalda or Ernaldans? Of course they are intertwined and I suspect it is the former, but, there is, of course, a difference.

My thoughts are:

(1a) Ernalda weaves the world together. How does this relate to Arachne
Solara? Are there myths specifically involving the two of them? Do they agree with one another? Where they disagree could be interesting.
(1b) She also animates the world. Does this relate to Donandar? Could be
interesting if it does, as above.

(2a) With all this weaving the world together, she (or her followers) might
be pretty good as sensing what is going on elsewhere, some of the undercurrents or currents. I mean this more explicitly than in the Kev write up, beyond your standard (!) reading of omens and so on.
(2b) For the same reason, she could be pretty effective at pulling at
certain strands and affecting things, being more manipulative, more active
(perhaps important for PC's). Doing magical things which affect people at a
distance. Being a bit more, well, witch-like, like Morgana and that lot.

(3) I never get the impression she gets things wrong. It's almost as if she
were invented by a man! I'm pleased to see Bryan had this point too, usually means I'm on the right track.

(4) She is very major-key and quite pastoral. I think she'd be more
interesting if she had some more of the minor-key stuff. If she were in Peter and the Wolf, I'd probably pop off to make the tea at that point. Couldn't she be a bit more terrible at times? A bit more scary? (And at the same time, make the Gors a bit less so, give them something else too.)

(5) Witches! A witch is a wonderful thing. How about a bit of cursing,
shrivelling of members, overly long fingernails stirring bowls of water, the occasional cackle, cruelty to amphibians, invertebrates and flying mamals, cauldrons, blasted heaths, you know the stuff. You know it makes sense.

Sam.