Re:Back to Vinga

From: Doyle Tavener <doyletavener_at_VbsMF2dQKLbs5Fn3V-WDKdPTd-Bt8hLR2zzn7r_dn6zKLfB8Jc0YWk1yGazEE0g>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:00:51 -0500

I saw John Hughes’ description of the Vinga cult, and I feel compelled to offer an alternate opinion. As usual this is IMNSHO and YGWV.

I want state that I do believe that the Vinga cult to be a ‘gateway’ cult – that is, a cult that allows a biological female to perform male social roles. A Vingan, in my view, is not compelled to perform as a male in every gendered role, just those she feels inclined/inspired to by the goddess.

For some Vingans, that includes same-sex sexual behavior – but not all. For a substantial majority of Vingans, the gendered behavior that is taken up is combat. I do think that you will find same-sex sexual behavior in Vingans as a whole in about the same proportions as you find it among female professional athletes or female soldiers in the real world – a much larger proportion, perhaps 50% to 75%, but that’s an anecdotal assertion on my part, I freely admit.

I would like to take the time to assert out that though it may seem that Vingans are “are pressured into 'masculine', lesbian relationships and sex roles.” this is not the case. For an Orlanthi, there is NO difference between ‘choosing’ a particular role and being chosen by the God(ess). Those Vingans that participate in same-sex sexual behavior are doing so, in the modern, real-world sense, because they are drawn to that behavior. They aren’t forced into it.

To extend the real-world example, a woman wanting to be a soldier or professional athlete does not mean that the woman is also lesbian, but it does mean that there is a strong likelihood that she is also a lesbian. And that is simply because those women who are drawn to lesbian behavior are likely to be also less satisfied with gendered social roles, NOT because those straight women who are less likely to be satisfied with gendered social roles are somehow all suppressed lesbians.

Finally, a woman drawn to same sex-behavior does not mean that she will also wish to perform – exclusively or otherwise – as a ‘top’ or dominant sexual partner, a role associated with males in a our Western world. Remember, in the real world, there are plenty of completely straight men who are bottoms and straight women who are tops. I honestly don’t know how Orlanthi feel about sexual behavior (performing as a top or bottom) and gender. This may be more fluid than in our own society. Vingans who are drawn to same-sex sexual behavior probably perform as tops or bottoms in about the same percentage as real-world lesbians (that is, about 50-50). Being a Vingan, even a Vingan drawn to same-sex sexual behavior, doesn’t automatically mean that you are also a top.

Doyle

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition.