Re: Left Bank Right Bank question rephrased

From: Sam Elliot <samclau_at_3hRgTuEqpW3JissQLGlARcR13EeJ5dOulW373vA8Fy2pKbnKQeLK5c5x02m_CqFy7OKk>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 19:17:09 -0300

Simon:
> I'd have thought that this was a standard way of describing the
> position of cities. I've been doing research into the cities on the
> Volga and they are described as left bank or right bank.
>
> So, if you are heading downstream, left bank is on the left and right
> bank is on the right. I would assume.
>
> Maybe there's a more mystical, draconic explanation, but I doubt it.
> There are sometimes mundane reasons for things, you know :-)

You are right of course. So, my apologies, I should have quoted the source. An example is Olorost, in the DP Gazetteer:

"Olorost was a bustling port of the Leftside community of the EWF..."

Of course, Olorost is left if you go upstream, north, or towards the dragon's head.

Sam.

p.s. I probably phrased my question in terms of banks as I was specifically thinking about Paris.