Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: donald_at_iB8ngQic6ED8Osi64DnJE0uYgVXBbnV2qT-M9GfqzpPlu374JLBjGpkXK_cM3RhcMi66-
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:12:02 GMT

In message <46968C92.5090001_at_oBmOAbGjUvQAdmb74nv8kQCpW8m0wGrm7Zc2S5prcQSr1YbcuVCfjeQPS9QYzNv6yCMXwhgej7TPJlPPaQnzZi8.yahoo.invalid> Laurent Castellucci writes:

>I'm curious as to how this kind of mixed worship differs from Lunar
>worship to the casual eye.

To the casual Gloranthan eye there are two types of magic. Our magic and foreign magic. I'd suggest it isn't until sometime after initiation that a theist (for example) starts to realise that the charm he got from a shaman is holding back his relationship with his god. Some people decide that they should discard these bits of magic (concentration in HQ terms) but the majority find them too useful and they have other priorities than their religion.

>Yes, there are functional differences in that Lunars can concentrate on
>Lunar and are subject to the cycle, but if I understand ILH2 properly,
>then someone worshipping a single entity can get what appear as spells
>and feats. (for example)

If they wish to concentrate on Lunar magic they must discard non-Lunar magic. There are plenty of Lunars who are also members of other pantheons as well so you get people with some cyclical magic and some not. Nice one to spring on the players - dark moon, apparently lunar opponent, suddenly produces a full strength Darjiini snake spirit.

>Would this appear different than the mixed magic of other people? Is it
>that in other people you never see mixed magic gained like that from
>worship of a single entity?

Well Storm Bull, Urox and the equivelent Aeolian saint are the same thing giving spirits, feats or spells depending on how you worship him. I suspect the rituals of the first two are very much on the borderline between sacrifice and estatic worship involving much alcohol and working yourself up into a frenzy. Nor are the results much different. Are you emulating Urox or possessed by the spirit of Storm Bull?

I'm sure there are scholars who spend their time carefully categorising all the different worlds, gods, spirits and essences but the majority of the population couldn't care less. Even most of those who concentrate do so more on the basis of "this is what works" than any understanding of the principles involved.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/