Re: magic use, another perspective

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_Mj4QmPFmYEM45QJKg2xZp-vkZqIoUZsNypXBcpoNzdkuwB4D34yEA0Ywl3rOi-aHMB84K>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:44:53 -0700

> Ah, I misspoke again. What I meant is that I've _personally_ gotten
> used to mixing up several magic practises (very much like the
> animist/theist/wizard split otherwise), and it's sometimes hard for me
> to remember that on Glorantha (presumably) that approach just wouldn't
> work.

You can mix magical systems - as long as you don't concentrate (and for those of you that binned the concentration rules...). There's nothing in the rules to prevent a person from becoming an initiate/practitioner/adept - you can even do it with the time requirements (Initiate 30%, Adept 25%, Practitioner 20-40+%). But as a narrator I'd be *really* interested in your character's justification and background!

> I wonder what happens on Glorantha if you try to dabble all three
> magic systems, and throw in some mysticism as well. Occlusion without
> illumination?

What happens is that you get a broad range of magical abilities, with little depth to it. "Jack of all trades, master of none". (Remember tat the more abilities you need to spread your HP over, the less "powerful" any particular ability is - why I don't worry about how many abilities a player can pull out of a description or keyword).

To get anywhere near Illumination/Occlusion or similar effects, you'd have to make some really insightful discovery - the kind that a 10w dabbler can't easily or repeatedly do. Call it a W4/W5 (or even higher - up to 15w!) level "insight resistance". (Lunar Sevening is a w2-w15 resistance, and that's with someone showing you the way and training for it).

It's possible; but not likely at all for a non-Player Hero, and difficult for a player hero.

RR