Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_7GlFxB7ZARPsPViOur3-95I8BI3S3kgU5yvxjinZEKDSwFsG-_KYNrkt4TIHAADPB-x>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 06:56:21 -0000

Roderick:

> The problem is that "foreign" common magic is not easily identified.
There
> may be a berry bush somewhere on your tula/in your city block/on your
> riverbank that just happens to give an ability off another culture's CM
> list.

It may give an ability that does the same thing, yeah, because the CM lists aren't exclusive.

> Heck, an Orlanthi hero might end up with cyclical
> Lunar Common Magic (I don't know - a meteric fragment on the tula? A
bit of
> an otherwise unknown Storm-friendly lunar being? Looted a charm off
a dead
> soldier?)

Whereas that is the sort of thing I don't think I would allow. Although I'm not sure; it hasn't cropped up. Could be more of a 'you shouldn't use this' (so you get visited by impests, say) than 'you can't'.

> Just like all other abilities, the lists of Common Magic abilities are
> simply non-exclusive starting points. Any ability is available to a
player
> hero, not just the ones on his culture's CM list, or Homeland
keyword, or
> whatever.

Yes, that's an important point to bear in mind with CM.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic