Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_1tJIpK-V4MHUcnoxMuWdFhfzyorptJTN8srkmnpWcCNMm7EkAG4Kt3r_f7uHvs1Qfp>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:23:42 +1000

On 16/07/07, Greg Stafford <Greg_at_Xuolf4htZMKKDmOzVoKIfvrUY1kQ2QUgDgoxbRTIYABGzarNgqwEICpWrdngWxHwEgNAVyUXBUdI.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> Not necessarily.
> It apeas to me you ae forgetting a couple of key poins:
> 1. Cooperation is always possible.

Not forgetting, just not emphasising I think.

Cooperation doesn't seem to be a big part of things in Glornatha *at present* since I don't recall a lot of cultures saying many good things about foreigners and their strange ways. This could be an artifact of my relative lack of familiarity with the setting compared to some people.

> 2. Also, IMPORTANTLY: Remember that most people in ALL cultures use
> mixed magic, and thus "pay the same costs" for their magic.

I am trying to, honest!
The impression that I got from most cultures (other than those in the Lunar Empire) was that one tended to dominate - and my reading of the mechanics suggests that, unless one's common magic is required for staying alive, concentration is often a "good deal". Perhaps it might have been clearer if all common magic was a talent and there was some other term for the "basic" magic obtained from a particular religion?

> Your emphasis on the system of magic seems misapplied.

My precious HP!

> Marginalization is not due to their dominant magic system.
> It is due to their relative population more than anything else.

I had merely wondered if their visible socio-political state of affairs was due to some unfortunate alignment of cosmic forces and geography.

--
John Machin