Re: Ability levels in magic; adversaries, bandits soldiers...

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_ZCyc0tdOUnkBsyj_G6NggZYQZ4-C6w-olkKDVl8s6AFg5hUP6TvCMUblb1YUHzxUt30M7AF>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:52:50 -0700

YGWV Quoting valkoharja <rintasaa_at_1NduV03jVRYXdLHqtWb8h8DZxjgaV3Y4IcjzldrDE1hXMZto_5B4vTGQBc--OlHmnIT56xWo0t1RPDaePnCudg.yahoo.invalid>:

> Player hero types tend to be at least competent magicians, and
> frequently are experts, but what about the magic a common sartarite
> clansman, a bandit or an imperial soldier can bring to bear?

Many variables impact this, of course.
"Common sartarite clansman" means a farmer, who would have farmer magic and likely some fyrd magic too. How much? Well, some people are more in tune with the gods, some have better access (dad was a godi, etc). And likely "as much magic as a huscarl," just a different type. Bandits, below.
Imperial soldiers will have quite a bit, too, as it is to their sponsor's advantage to have it so. And it would all be combat magic, of the regiment's specilization, so skirmishers would have running and bow magic, etc.

> I'm wondering does the average bandit have some magic trick to use
> that makes him a more efficient bandit?

This would depend on where he came from, of course, and how he became a bandit. For instance, if he'd been a huscarl he'd be far better equipped than one who'd been a carl.

> Does an outlaw band commonly
> have a wyter that grants them all some some magic oomph, and what do
> they do to gain this wyter?

Regular organized gangs probably would have a wyter. You can pretty much assume ALL organized groups have a wyter. Some of these are old traditional entities, especially for "outlaw gods" like Gagarth or Lanbril. These would probably be old leaders and so on, who didn't enter into the reprocessing that ordinary folk undergo after death.

> I guess if an outlaw band has a godtalker
> of Gagarth,

Just a note: Heortling godtalkers are generalized, and lead all kinds of worship as needed. Yes, they are usually initiates (and usually of Orlanth or Ernalda) of course.
Some will specialize--devote themselves. And, frankly, the ones who do not need to support the entire pantheon are more likely to devote to a single entity. Ones like Gagarth bandit holy men...

> or a shaman, then other bandits tend to have magic from
> that source (they are propably cut off from whatever they had before
> becoming outlaws).

Absolutely correct.
That is a major consequence of being an exile or outlaw.

> Is the average person more likely to have higher physical skills than
> magic skills, and indeed mostly augment those physical skills with
> their magic.

I'd suggest 50/50. Some people are more spiritual than others, some are more physical.
Most theist magic tends to be augments to the common tasks. These need no "casting" once they are familiar to the user. So when he goes to plow, the farmer rather naturally harmonizes his actions with the plowing magic.
I'm working on a couple of essays to illustrate the ways that everyday people use everyday magic.

> How unusual is the bandit or orlanthi fyrd member who
> actually fights with his/her "befuddle foe 19" rather than using a
> spear and shield?

I think you are asking how many people use magic first, as a primary ability. For theists, this would vary with the deity worshipped, and with the level of knowledge. Think of it: attacking with a magic Feat is something to be learned from the ground up, while augmenting your spear has the spear ability to build on.

Using spirits varies mainly with the spirit. If it is a "befuddle spirit" then it has the knowledge and the user just has to activate it.

For spells, most people would use them as prayers to help them out, whether farmer or soldier. But grimoire-users would most likely have active magic. The magic does all the work.

And there are exceptions to these standards, of course.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford