Re: Pamaltela & Horses

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_WCd3SbcSHukZOJjFDrUdKrm3ERdVccLePujCfmcVni_su_I8hH7ifzGc0Vfrva4CVXpgsdv>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 07:38:26 -0700

YGWV   David Dunham wrote:

> >One of my core motivations in this is my knowledge that there are no
> >cavalry, or mounted troops, native to Pamalela; and the imported ones
> >die off easily.
>
> This is clearly the case for Pamalt's domain, south of the Fense.
>
> I'm with David Cake -- it seems unlikely that the Six Legged Empire
> would be so-named if their horses kept dying off.

Quite the opposite. Such creatures had never been seen before. They created a significant and permanent impression with their weirdness and swift initial victory..

> So Hon Hoolbiktu
> must have done something to make things worse. And anything he did is
> more likely to affect only his own domain, which is Pamalt's.

Sure, he may have done something too.

> Even on the north coast, horses don't really thrive. In the majority
> of the continent, they find it hard to survive at all.

That's a fact.

> As to what Hon Hoolbiktu did, I haven't a clue either. I recall Sandy
> once saying/writing (in a con transcript?) that when a Doraddi finds
> a tuft of grass, he plucks it out (with an appropriate curse). Which
> suggests that there's still some rare grass to be found on the
> plains.

If such exists, this would been introduced grass, from seeds carried on the hooves of animals, just the same way that European grass has nearly replaced naïve American species.