Re: Outlawry

From: donald_at_e1pbupWnFJTcQFQj9LCkN60JxknbQo3ebMkwW4zBE8APJsLXG9K00m5K_cN5s8ia3ffzM
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 00:09:03 GMT

In message <302E906C-1878-4D02-AEA5-59296EEA7E48_at_K0fAzq3cs2nxYHiLHUKPUZaL-FHN_Sr-uHLK5j_m55mtepZABmXkgVJ_GhhM8FlwWnFkI1tc884GRAiMA9Q1GxYQ10T7D4R3OwwWQwgjTgScUvluxhyCuEVNJie2h2Hk.yahoo.invalid> Paul King writes:

>On 1 Aug 2007, at 22:54, Rob wrote:
>
>> However, outlawry and a clan cutting you off from your magic smacks
>> of excomunication. I guess thats just not how I like to view the
>> Heortling culture. However I guess it does answer why outlaws worship
>> gods like Gargarth.
>
>I see it as part of being cut off from the community - and the larger
>Storm Tribe. Perhaps it requires the outlaws kin - or at least some
>of them - to willingly and sincerely participate in the ritual. What
>if one doesn't wish to let go of the relationship ?

Remember clan outlawry is only used for crimes where reparations are inadequate. The clan are the outlaws kin and while there may be some individuals who don't agree the majority will be so revolted by the outlaw's behavour that they are in favour or it wouldn't happen. I'd distinguish it from excomunication because it is done by the community rather than an outside religious authority.

> And Orlanth
>might not always agree with the declaration. Nobody can make you do
>anything. Orlanth isn't the sort of God to do as his worshippers
>tell him all the time.

I don't see the clan telling Orlanth to do anything. The ritual involves telling Orlanth and Ernalda the crimes the individual has committed and that the clan are outlawing him/her. What the gods do is up to them although the priests will know the likely result. That's why Greg's suggestion of a contest makes a lot of sense. The PC is desperately trying to persuade the gods not to cut off his/her magic having already lost the contest to convince the clan not to outlaw them.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/