Re: Holy Country 1616 - the Evil Year

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_qlKuE4gcZjdLgCKXvEJFE1g0RR6AsBxlotPyEt_8ZYQc8MVp2173wXu7jVYeG>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 11:05:14 -0000

Jeff:
> I'm curious how much cultural impact their long alliance with the
> Middle Sea Empire and Slontos had on the Caladralanders.

Caladraland might be best described a 'special case', in that the alliance was conducted through the peculiar medium of such theomancers as Moray and Telerio, and their adherents. The Volcano Twins cult they formed, and that magically controlled Caladraland, is unique. Reconciling it with other writings on the MSE can be difficult, as the Twins cult derives from a very early picture of Godlearnerism  in practice, and one not written by Greg [1].

As a wild and rugged realm, with a somewhat truculent people and mythology, Caladraland has often proved resistant to outside influence. I'd suggest that only those that have been perceptive, powerful and arrogant enough to meet it on a mythic level (e.g. Moray and Telerio, Belintar) have made their mark, and paved the way for other change.

The strong "Gone Native" theme that is often applied to the GL in Caladraland also serves to qualify the nature of outside influence.

The best idea of impact is Chuck's Volcano Twins cult, which remains the most detailed piece of Caladran lore and an exposition of a religious culture that grew to rule the realm.

Earthblood and Firebone, unisonance, power crystals, rite and ritual, social change, the importance of twins and revolution in gender roles. All these were important facets of the Imperial Age in Caladraland. Some have persevered. Some of the princely bloodlines interbred with colonists from Slontos, Jrustela and elsewhere, and maintain elements better than others.

My own ideas on the vibe of the GL perhaps differ from those others have expressed. I use the 'special case' scenario to indulge this a little, and plead my defence. My GL in Caladraland draw upon the Lost Race themes of Arthur Conan Doyle, H. Rider Haggard and Edgar Rice Burroughs, viewed through the Art Deco lens of William Van Allen and the earliest cinematic depictions of decadent grandeur.

And WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS (1978). Daniel Massey and Cyd Charisse as twin priests. (Okay, maybe with less sequins. But it was the '70s.) If Doug McClure can't become appalled at the terrible wonder and wreck the place, there's a problem.

By the Third Age, most of these pinnacles of greatness have fallen to ignorance and ruin. The Pharaoh was powerful and knowledgeable enough to restitute some, but many secrets remain. Not least the great, magically operated lavatube subways.

Cheerio,

Stew.

[1] The Caladra and Aurelion cult has always had to adapt to changes made elsewhere in Glorantha. It's not always weathered these changes smoothly. Given that Chuck, its creator, made his last contribution in 1992, it's had to rely on other champions.

Twenty-five years ago it was a powerful and beneficent cult, rooted in myth, and more prominent than its parent; fifteen years ago, it was a God Learner experiment, albeit one that survived the Closing and remained dominant; five years ago it was subordinated to the notion of a more aggressive masculine volcano god, and had withered in power since the Closing.